A Broke Girls Guide To Self-Care

self-care-tips-affordable-windy-city-wardrobeSelf-care on any budget is possible. In fact, most acts of self-care don’t cost a thing. Self-care is simply the practice of treating yourself with enough respect that you honor and fulfill your own needs as they arise. Self-care isn’t something that you can just put off until you have more time or money. Your brain, body, family and self-esteem suffer when you don’t take the time to tune into your needs. It’s not selfish, it’s necessary. So try one these 5 ways to care for yourself.

1. Designate some tech-free time every day.

It’s so freeing to stop communicating via the Internet or playing with our phones. Even if we need these tools for work etc, there will be opportunities to put technology down for a while and simply be with what is happening right in front of you. Go for a walk, meditate or focus on the dishes that’ve been piling up. Whatever you do, don’t tweet about it!

2. Don’t forget to play.black-woman-natural-hair-exercise-self-care-tips

This is something we can easily allow to slip away as adults. Whether it’s a board game, sports, finger painting or even having a good old water gun fight–have some fun!

3. Keep a gratitude journal.

self-care-tips-affordable-windy-city-wardrobe

Listing things that you’re grateful for is a great way of keeping yourself positive and grounded. You can buy some pretty cool journals online or you can DIY one for cheap. Heck, there’s even tons of smartphone apps that’ll help you track your daily gratitude too, like Gratitude Journal and Thankful.

4. Schedule weekly me time.

face-mask-scrub-peel-skincare

We all say we’re going to make time for ourselves, but actually squeezing in time can be quite difficult. We suggest having a weekly pamper session (candles, face masks, music and a good read are musts haves!) and treating it like any other appointment. You can even re-watch your favorite episode of a TV show on Netflix – (I love re-watching episodes of Broad City…hilarious!) But whatever you do, put it on the calendar, and don’t cancel on yourself! To keep costs low search for Pinterest recipes for a DIY at-home facial.

5. Minimize the time you spend with difficult people. difficult-people-dealing-with-coworkers

Are there people in your life who refuse to respect your boundaries or are regularly unfair, rude, manipulative or aggressive towards you? If so, then it’s probably time to consider how the relationship is affecting you and whether you can improve things. If not, you might even have to say some goodbyes. Sometimes people just can’t get along, no matter what, and even partners and best friends can change. It’s sad, but it’s true.

What way do you plan to unwind and take time for yourself? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @dashaguyton

windy-city-wardrobe-best-chicago-fashion-blog-plus-size

“The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” ― Steve Maraboli

1. Yes! Love this. Self – care versus saving money is one of the greatest grudge matches of all time. Thanks for the tips.

Hey Girl, Hey🤗 So glad I could help!

2. The Pink Caboodle says:

Planning a ‘tech free time’ really resonated with me. I realize it’s so important to take time away from my computer, which can be hard…especially when its my job. Thanks so much for this!!

3. I needed this for sure!!! I truly need to step away from technology more and keep a gratitude journal!

4. keishcan says:

All of these tips are helpful and budget friendly. Self Care is so important, I completely struggle with my phone though, like…I could do so much better lol. Thanks for the reminder

5. Charli says:

Absolutely needed to read this! Thank you!

6. Okay seriously I love this. I used to do this every Sunday night and recently I started seriously slacking. “Put it on the calendar, and don’t cancel on yourself!” is advice I WILL be taking.

7. Tiana says:

Love! Love! Love!… This was a very helpful!

8. Minimizing time spent with difficult people is a good tip, they can be so draining. I like to paint my nails and binge watch a few shows on Netflix as a form of self care.

9. Jay Wes says:

Great post. I have been taking 5 hours off from anything technical. I see it’s not a good thing to live vicariously through your laptop/tablet/or phone. Also I don’t have any apps on my tablet…just reading material so that helps a great deal. Now I am working on setting my self care appointments and me time sessions. I am going to share this on my social media outlets. 🙂

10. Alexi says:

These are great tips and reminders, thank you so much! I keep a journal that I use as a gratitude journal occasionally, but I’ve fallen off so I think that I’ll start up again today!

11. I love this and I like how you emphasis on the alternatives that doesn’t cost you much. I have invest in a gratitude journal and it’s helping me see the bigger picture in life and things that I though was a high priority aren’t.

12. D. Sanders says:

Love this! I’m a fan of a nice long detox bath at the end of each day. It’s my moment to unwind, unplug and soak the stress away!

13. Shauna says:

I LOVE this! Anyone and everyone can benefit from these tips. I personally need to work on taking some tech-free time to myself. Even when I’m “relaxing” its usually with some device – phone (Twitter, IG) or my laptop (Netflix). I am going to make more of an effort this week! 🙂

14. These are some great tips! I need to focus more on self-care. I often say I don’t have time but it’s just an excuse. Small things can make the difference. Thanks for sharing!

15. Anecia says:

I definitely don’t take enough time out for myself and I need too.

16. Until I read this, I honestly didn’t think much about things like “me time” but you’re so right! All it costs is time and that’s an investment that’s 100% worth it. I’m going to take this advice and try to find five minutes a day in which to relax or meditate or indulge myself in a screen-free, kids-free environment. Thank you for this simple reminder! xo

17. Amanda Kruse says:

These are all great! I definitely need to work on #1

xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

18. Lacey says:

Couldn’t agree more with keeping the tough people in your life at a distance! Also, a face mask and a hot bath can do wonders for a woman!

I have a bad habit of blaming myself when dealing with difficult people so we’re going to work on this one together girl!

19. Hellokyoto says:

Great ideas, can’t wait to try them all!

Great! LMK which work best for you.

20. Courtney says:

Great tips! #1 is the most helpful for me to de-stress!

Xo,
    Courtney | http://www.whatcourtwore.com

21. Love these tips! I will definitely work on some of these.

Xo, Courtney

22. Yes! Gratitude Journal is one of my favorite ways to practice self-care as well as trying facial masks and reading a good book or watching a favorite show. How do you practice self care?

Hey Girl🙋🏾‍♀️ this time of year I relax on the beach, so thankful it’s close enough to bike to!

1. hey 🙂 that sounds awesome, that’s a great way to practice self care.

23. I love this! I started a blog this week and would love some traffic! Cant wait too see more of your stuff Dāsha ! Hope too see you follow!