How To Improve Your Body Image In A Beauty Obsessed Society

body-positive-bloggers-chicago-dasha-guyton
“Don’t let your mind bully your body.”
 ~June Tamaso Wood
Raise your hand if you’ve ever pinched your stomach for fat, compared yourself to someone else or felt inadequate after looking at social media and magazines. It’s okay, you’re not alone, my hand is raised too. When you live in a body that’s constantly labeled as “flawed” and “undesirable,” maintaining a positive sense of self can be tricky.
Sure, logic would dictate that we shouldn’t care about the mainstream media. We should know that most images we see are unrealistic and edited. We should know that our worth has nothing to do with our dress size. Unfortunately, when you’re repeatedly told that there’s something wrong with you, logic rarely prevails.
For me, that’s where the body positive movement comes in. It’s living proof that despite all the negativity around you, you can create change internally. Whether your body is a size six or a size twenty-six, the key to loving it lies in changing how you perceive body, instead of changing its appearance.  How do you start this shift in perception when you’ve been hating and criticizing yours for so long?
1. Forgive your body.
When you spend years of your life trying to change your body’s appearance and criticizing the way it looks, you probably didn’t treat it kindly. Let’s face it, the perfect body doesn’t exist. Unrealistic standards created by media and society aren’t representing any kind of beauty. They are designed to sell. When you feel bad about yourself, you are more likely to buy their products. If you want to love your body, you should start by forgiving it for not being perfect.
2. Focus on the amazing functions of your body.
Despite everything your body has been through, it functions. So instead of obsessing over how it looks, you can focus on the benefits it gives you. Think about the things your body does for you every single day and the goals you accomplish with it.

Chicago-Woman-Magazine-Windy-City-Wardrobe-Body-Positive

3. Develop positive self-talk.
Challenge your negative thoughts and use positive daily affirmations like, “I will be kind for my body today” or “I will like my body today just the way it is.” Over time, with enough intention your positive affirmations will become your reality. Start a list of positive aspects of your body to refute the negative things you’re telling yourself. Instead of saying “I hate my body shape”, try saying “I’m grateful I have a healthy body. I’m grateful I can go for a run or carry my child.” You may not be perfect, but who says you have to be?
4. Embrace your body.
After years of battling with my own body image, I can now look in the mirror and be happy with my reflection, I can walk the runway in fashion shows, I can even take boudoir photos because I have found peace. Not in changing my body, but in changing the way I perceive myself. Being beautiful and having a positive body image is a feeling that comes from within and deserves to be unlocked. Loving your body is hard, but the process is gratifying and so worth it.

body-positive-plus-size-blog

Have you struggled with body image? What helped you get over it? Tag @WindyCityWardrobe in your insta-pics & stories using #EmbracingMyBody

body-positive-plus-size-blogger-Dasha-Guyton-Windy-City-Wardrobewindy-city-wardrobe-best-chicago-fashion-blog-plus-size

1. Shakethesoul says:

Love this! So inspiring! Sharing with the teenage girls I counsel!

That means more to me than you know. 🤗 If you’re in Chicago you can pick up the printed version inside Chicago Woman Magazine.

1. Shakethesoul says:

In Florida…your reach is far!

2. This post is amazing. You guys did great on this shoot. I’ll admit I’m the same way with myself at times, but it is so important to get out of your head!

We all have our good days and bad days I just hope takling about it makes it easier for us all. Thanks for stopping by Ashley!

3. These tips are fabulous, you all look amazing x

4. jamiejetaime says:

Such an amazing post! I love your tips & the photos are great. The body positive movement has helped so many people! You are amazing. Thank you.

5. The Pink Caboodle says:

Slow clap!! Being able to forgive yourself is so important!

6. This was such an inspiring post!

So glad to hear that the level of vulnerability this took paid off. Thanks for stopping by🤗

7. Vivi says:

I definitely started to talk lovingly about my body to myself. Appreciating my ankles a bit more or my apple shape or the discoloration on my legs. Appreciating these characteristics a bit more each day.

I feel you Vivi. It’s been a life long struggle embracing my apple shape. Once I started focusing on different parts of myself that I like I started to see the beauty in all of my parts. But I still have my good days and bad days.

8. Style Vicksen says:

Number 1 hit me hard! Spent years on Lindora, Weight Watchers, etc. Just fighting with myself to be “right”. Had to let it go and forgive myself for all those years of fighting.

9. Kiah G. says:

I recent;y had my second child (7months ago) and I am still in the process of accepting what my body looks like now. I loved the part that says “The body hears everything the mind says” this is important because I think your mental can actually stop the physical change you are looking for. If you’re a negative Nancy your body internalizes that. Thank you for this sis!

Accepting our bodies is a daily process because to be a woman is to be in constant change. Even when look the same our perception changes with every shift in our hormones. I recently participated in a shoot with women who were strangers of different shapes, sizes, abilitites, ethnicities, ages and some women were expecting and recently post pregnancy. We had a group session to talk about our body insecurities and each person came up with one body positive word for themselves. Then we got completely naked and had a painter use is as a canvas. All the positive words mixed with flowers, hearts and rainbows. This was the most therapeutic experience I’ve ever participated in. Congrats on your bundle of joy and good luck on your journey to self acceptance and love 😙

10. I love this message. You all look amazing! Definitely writing these down.

-Sierra

11. Such a wise and empowering article, thank you for posting this.

So glad you enjoyed it Annaliese 🤗 If you like this I’m sure you’ll like the body positive content I share on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BRKXzoKF5Og/