Top 10 Takeaways From Blavity’s #EmpowerHer17 Conference

#EmpowerHer17-Blavity-21Ninety-Windy-City-Wardrobe

Hey Girl, Hey! How you doing? I’m still recovering from this past weekends festivities. Thanks to Black Girl Fly Mag, I attended the #EmpowerHer17 Conference by Blavity and 21 Ninety and hunny… it was LIT! From the invaluable insights to the sincere sisterhood bonds formed among attendees—I am so impressed. I even had a chance to meet up with some of my favorite brands and bloggers like Travel Noire, Boss Babes, and HuffPost Black Voices, just to name a few. But the icing on the cake for this queer, black, woman was getting words of wisdom and a one on one chat with Lena Waithe, Producer of Dear White People, Actor on Master of None and Writer for the show, Bones. If you weren’t able to experience all this #BlackGirlMagic firsthand or just want to keep reliving it, check out the top 10 takeaways I rounded up.

#EmpowerHer17-Blavity-21Ninety

1. How do I go viral? Go be great. Greatness can’t be ignored.

2. You don’t have to have a ton of money. You just have to have a ton of talent.

With talent you can make ten dollars look like ten million.

3. You get a lot further together so stop competing.

It’s not about getting a piece of the pie, it about making more pie. Let’s lift each other up ladies!

4. Don’t boss your team around, manage them.

Someone that works for you may be in a position to hire you later. Help them find their talents don’t manage them with fear.

5. Stop complaining about the lack of positive visibility of black women in the media and do something about it.

Support each other on social media. When you comment you contribute to an algorithm of visibility.

6. Your vibe is your tribe.

The only way to keep good people is to be a good person.

7. Be unapologetically you.

Instead of trying to fit in, just be yourself because a good brand will attract the right people and repel the ones that aren’t a good fit.

8. Learn from the best and ignore the rest.

Don’t copy an expert. But don’t neglect the wisdom of an expert.

9. Know your worth and collect your coins.

10. Take time for yourself as soon as you wake up each day.

Self-care isn’t something that you can just put off until you have more time or money. Your brain, body, family and self-esteem suffer when you don’t take the time to tune into your needs. If your self-care routine is lacking, check out the broke girls guide to self-care.

Let me know how you’re going to use the takeaways in the comments below!

Chicago-Bloggers

1. Girl!!!! I am so happy to have gotten even a little glimpse of this wonderful event through you! To be surrounded by so much greatness all weekend must have been amazing! Love that you got to meet so many people and thank you for sharing!

2. Style Vicksen says:

Wow! Sounds like an amazing event! I wish they had stuff like this in LA where I am. Maybe they do and I’m not in the know! Thank you for sharing!

Their founder lives in California and hosts events there as well. I’ve been to events like this in Chicago, DC, and Kansas City. The best way to find them is to follow lifestyle brands you like through Twitter and sign up for their email.

3. ModernDayKay says:

Claiming this into existence 2018!! Thanks for letting us who couldn’t attend, live through your pics & tips!

4. Briana Anderson says:

Thanks so much for sharing all these insights! Looks like you had a great time!
    x, B || http://www.brianaanderson.com

You’re welcome Briana! I really did have MUCH more fun than I anticipated. This is DEFINITELY my kind of conference.

5. Supporting each other is something we all need to do!

Xx,
    Amanda || http://www.fortheloveofglitter.com

IKR! Can’t get this reminder too much. Thanks for stopping by Amanda!

6. Thanks for the reminders! Looks like there were some great takeaways. Thanks for sharing.

7. This event looks like one I need to be at! I love all the takeaways….super inspiring! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Hey Girl, Hey! Look at it this way. You weren’t even there and the conference inspired you so just imagine how good it’ll be when you attend in person. Make sure you use search #EmpowerHer17 on Twitter for more gems. I couldn’t squeeze them all in one post.

8. kingteeuhh says:

awesome list!!!

9. D. Sanders says:

I’m so upset I missed it this year! I’m definitely going next time!!! These takeaways are everything!!!

Look at the bright side, at least you didn’t miss out on the gems! Hoping to see you there next year.

10. Anecia says:

These are some great takeaways and I needed to see them

11. Victoria says:

*implements each & every tip into life starting TODAY* Thanks for sharing all the dope takeaways from the conference. xo

You know I can’t help but share with my blogger boos. (In my Tamar Braxton voice) GIRL…You betta get ya life!

12. Hellokyoto says:

Simple but yet so wise and true… Thank you for the reminders, I think I found my new mantras👌

Thank you for letting me know. It really touches my heart when the experiences I share help other people grow.