DC Road Trip Recap & Pet Travel Checklist

Let’s be honest. Even when you love your city, you still need a break from it. So I’m doing just that! Road trips are one of the easiest ways to escape, and one of Chicago’s best qualities is that it borders six states which make great getaways. So far I’ve done Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Dubuque and Des Moines, but this time, I’m headed much further east. D.C. here I come!how-to-travel-road-tripMy first thought when planning a road trip usually revolves around how long of a ride I can handle in my compact honda civic. But last spring I traded it in for the much more comfortable, Honda HRV. Meet Sooky.

wp-1484752345672.gif

GIF by Car Revs Daily

If you’re the type to shy away from attention, this car isn’t for you. People constantly stop me around town to take a peek. I can understand it though. It’s been quite a while since Honda revealed a new car.
Honda-HRV-ReviewI spent some time at Fletcher Jones Honda  getting a complimentary oil change as well as getting more acquainted with all of Sooky’s innards, levels, and tire air to make sure she’s road trip-ready. She’s brand spanking new so as expected, she’s in the clear! But before I hit the road, I have to make sure my fur-babies bags are packed just right.how-to-travel-with-pet-checklistI put this checklist together for Buddha, but feel free to use it for your fur-baby. Now we’re ready to roll. how-to-travel-with-petroad-sign-welcome-to-indianaroad-sign-ohiowelcome-to-pennsylvania-signwelcome-to-maryland-signThirteen hours and five states later we arrived at Hotel George and it quickly became my favorite hotel. From the lobby to the suite, each and every detail was well planned and aesthetically pleasing. Take a look.the-george-kimptonthe-george-kimpton-hotelthe-george-kimpton-bathroomthe-george-lobby the-george-kimpton-lobbyShortly after checking in we took a stroll up Capital Hill to take in some sights and find a local spot for dinner.
black-travel-bloggertravel-blog-dclesbians-natural-hairHave you been on a road trip lately? Leave a comment below; I want to hear all about it.

1. Emileigh says:

This is so awesome! What a fun trip! And good pet check list too. We always manage to forget our dog’s leash or bags or SOMETHING. Without fail, haha!

YAS GIRL!!! We had a great time. Try this checklist in your next trip and let me know how it goes 😉

2. Such a unique blog layout! Also, I love DC! It’s a great city, and you’re pet road trip checklist is adorable!!

Awww 😄 so glad you like it. I agree, DC is a great city!

3. Katie says:

What a lovely post!

Katie | Katie Like Me

Thanks Katie 😉

4. What a gorgeous hotel! Looks like you had fun. I haven’t been on a road trip lately but I will be heading to the beach in NC in a few weeks. Great post!

Have fun in North Carolina, can’t wait to see the pictures 🤗

5. Welcome to DC we are happy to have you! Our 4 legged kiddo HATES car rides. Hopefully your tips will make his next voyage easier.

My fur-baby never did well with car rides either but all that changed with the use of this list and some good music.

6. Allie Barke says:

Looks like a great trip. That hotel is gorgeous! Bathroom goals.

xo
    Allie

7. Toni says:

Love that checklist! How many times did you do potty breaks for the furkid?

Thanks Toni 😉 My general rule of thumb is if I have to go he probably has to go too! I clipped a waste bag holder to his harness and took him for a walk each time I stopped to use the bathroom. Half of the time he just wanted to stretch his legs, but I figured better safe than sorry.