5 Bags Every Woman Must Have

One fashion rule of thumb that every woman should know is how to match her handbag to the occasion. The last thing you want is to show up with a purse that’s inappropriate for the event. Whether what you’ve chosen is too dressy, underwhelming, over-sized, or not big enough, I’m going to clue you in on how to avoid a fashion faux pas. Fortunately, once you’ve gotten the basics down, picking the proper purse will be a breeze.

how-to-pick-right-purse-every-occasion

Office

Office

Working a 9 to 5 job means that you’ll be away from the comforts of home for long stretches of time multiple days a week. So it’s important to choose a bag that will accommodate a variety of things, including your wallet, phone, small makeup bag, hygiene products, snacks, and maybe a few extras. Lyst offers some inspiration for everyday bags and we’d recommend a black structured handbag with both top carry handles and a shoulder strap. This will keep everything organized thanks to a solid exterior and plenty of interior pockets.

Date NightDateWhen heading out on a date with your significant other, it’s important to travel light so you can clear your mind and keep your hands free for, um, other things. You’ll most likely only need a few items in your bag, like makeup for touch-ups, credit cards, cash, and your cell phone. A medium, soft leather envelope clutch would work well in this case. You may even wish to choose one that has an optional shoulder strap. Pick a metallic finish or a color that will pop when you pair it with a little black dress.

Weekend Trip

WeekendGearing up for a weekend getaway means some light packing will be in order. Choose a duffel bag like the one seen from Pop Sugar for stashing your goods. Make sure it’s large enough to hold a couple of outfits, one pair of extra shoes, and a few toiletries. Let your personality shine when it comes to pattern and color—the possibilities are endless. Bring along a neutral cross-body purse for the things you’ll carry daily, like your makeup bag, cell phone, wallet, and other odds and ends.

Black Tie

WADE_81_RGYou’ve got the gorgeous gown, perfect makeup, stunning shoes, and a handsome date, so don’t overlook the importance of a beautiful bag. Getting decked out for an event requires carrying a purse that’s stunning enough to compliment your outfit. The minaudiere is a favorite of Fashion Lady—and of mine. Not only does it have the perfect petite proportions, but this hard case evening bag is also typically embellished with beautiful beading and crystals or covered in satin and exotic textiles, lending that extra upscale oomph.

NightclubNightSimilar to the date night suggestion, but easier to hang onto while dancing, is the wristlet. This portable purse is essentially a clutch with a strap that you can carry on your wrist, making it the perfect bag to bring to your favorite hangout. Choose one that’s just large enough for lip gloss, cash, one credit card, and your ID. Whether leopard’s your thing or you prefer a posh pink, have some fun with the aesthetic.

Remember to evaluate what you’ll need for the event and make sure your purse can accommodate all the goods. After that, look to the degree of formality to choose the aesthetic. By combining these two easy to follow tips with the suggestions above, your outfits will be spot on from head-to-toe.

the scoop on Portland’s newest restaurants (4)

P.S. Now that you’re well on your way to picking the perfect purse, can you do me a favor? If you liked this post and found it helpful  you can thank me by leaving a comment below or by sharing this post on social media.

1. Tavi J says:

I love all these but especially the bag with the beading and crystals! 😍

Thanks for coming by Tavi🤗 Glad you enjoyed this post!

2. Loved this! Some great tips. Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Thirty By 30 With Courtney! says:

So, I suck at purses. I carry the same three or don’t use them. Since it’s the start of the school year, it’s the only time I truly go shopping but I said I want to do better with bags. Great post and awesome tips.

4. It’s so true. It’s not even that you need a ton of bags: but just a couple essential bags that can fit in with specific occasions! I now want that lime green one! 😉 love it girl! XO

5. afashionholicslife says:

Excellent post!!! Really informative!!! The night club clutch is something that is hard to find!!! But u just made it easy for me!!! Thanks for sharing such wonderful post! Have a great day!!!! 🙂 https://afashionholicslife.blogspot.com/2016/07/reasons-to-clean-your-closet.html

6. Great tips! I love the office bag, so chic!!

7. Beth says:

This was really useful! I’ll definitely be using some of these tips 🙂

8. Girl, you and I have the exact same taste in bags! There is not one that I don’t want in my closet!! Great post! xo

9. Goals. Hopefully, one day, I’ll “catch them all!”

(When my wallet catches up to my champagne taste.)

Girl bye 😂 I’ll let you in on a little secret…I put the luxury items in a wish list for holidays and birthdays and share it with the fam. I’d rather get one thing I REALLY want instead several things I kinda like. In the meantime, this guide will still work for the bags in the budget and ALWAYS Google site specific coupon codes 😉

1. Yes – and all the outlets and stuff! Some of these, like the MK and Kate Spade, are affordable.

🙂

Thanks for the tip.

10. This was pretty helpful! I usually wonder what bag goes with the occasion 🙂

Hey Girl🤗 I’m SUPER EXCITED to hear this helps!!! When do you find it most difficult to pick a purse?

1. Heyy 😊Honestly it was when I was attending a formal event! Like a banquet, fashion show or wedding.

Ok,I see. Those can be tricky because sometimes the host forgets to include the level of formality in the invite. It’s ok to ask for them to clarify if it’s a casual or formal event. But for a fashion show I suggest letting your unique style shine. Go for whatever is in your closet that you love and every time you wear it you feel like a boss👊

3. Yes! I’ve sadly come underdressed for a wedding and it was uncomfortable for me, but I’ve learned since then. Your so right! Fashion shows are perfect for creativity to shine, last time I wore a black flowy jumpsuit, burgundy heels and a burgundy blazer.

I tend to err on the side of caution and overdress. I’ll take over-dressed than under-dresses every time. That’s what I’m talking bout, SHINE ON GIRL! That outfit sounds fly👊

5. That’s been my motto these past few years👌🏾 and thank you 😊.