Swim Sexy

Whether you’re sitting pretty by the pool, or catching waves at the beach, choosing the right swimwear for your shape is crucial to your summer fun. Which is why I’m sharing the guide I use with clients to find the perfect figure flattering swimsuit.

common-body-shapes (3)
Before you start shopping you’ll need to determine which shape your body resembles most. Bare in mind that you may be a combination of body shapes so I suggest taking a look at yourself in a full size mirror in your underwear.

• Apple – you are well proportioned but with a little bit of extra around the middle. You can define your waistline by looking for suits with under-wire, ruching, and color-blocking. View the apple figure flattering guide here.
  • Pear  – the width of your torso is smaller than the width of your hips. You’ll want to balance the difference between the top and bottom part of your body by color-blocking or wearing embellishments on your top half. More pear shape tips here.
  • Hourglass – you are well proportioned with a shapely bust and defined waist. So you have a ton of options, but swimsuits than make you appear elongated will work best. More about the hourglass shape  here.
  • Rectangle – you are well proportioned and relatively lean but are lacking in the curve department. You can show off the fact that you have nothing to hide or you can use embellishments to your create the illusion of curves.

If you have a short torso and want to minimize the tummy area, I suggest something with an inverted print like this.

plus-size-short-waist-swimsuit

If under-wire support isn’t a must have, but you want the illusion of a smaller waist minus the discomfort of shape-wear, I would recommend this one.

sexy-plus-size-swim

Even though there are a lot options for the hourglass shape, I would stick to suits that really elongate the legs like this one. (Beyoncé taught us this trick.)

pus-size-swimsuits

I have an apple shape, long torso, and wear an e-cup and I love this swimsuit! I’ve tried so many brands, but I keep coming back to the Swim Sexy line. Each year I excitedly wait to see what the collaboration between the blogger, Gabifresh and Swim Suits For All has to offer because they don’t disappoint.

IMG_20160529_221048

If you’re still unsure of which swimsuit suits you best check out #MySwimBody to see how the suits looks on more women who aren’t models. If all else fails, rest assured in the fact that Swimsuits For All has an awesome return policy.

connect footer

P.S. What do you find most difficult about shopping for swimsuits? What works for you?

1. Crystal says:

What a good read!!

2. Great post! I was thinking I was a pear, but I think I’m an hourglass. I’ve been told I have good preportions lol. I hate shopping for suits. I don’t really ever go swimming so lol.

3. Anna says:

So in love with this beautiful suit! The print and colors are too much fun! And I love that these were photographed in Indy (my hometown!). You look gorgeous! XO

Anna || A Lily Love Affair

Thanks for the kind words and support Anna 😙 I love the fact that you never miss an opportunity to rep your home state!

4. Dinna says:

You look adorable in this piece!

Thank you Dinna!

5. Laura says:

Love this post – I haven’t bought a new swimsuit in ages!!

Laura

Hi Laura🤗 I tend to buy one new swim suit a year since I go to the beach often. Let me know if this works.

6. shannon says:

I love the way you laid this post out with the different body types! Really nice angle!
    Xx,
    Shannon
    somethingshannon.com

Thanks Shannon! I kept seeing swim suit guides for petite or plus but no one is considering all bodies so I decided to write it myself.

7. Great Post…omg i’m going on vacation next week and this helps me!!

Makes me happy to hear this helps. Where are you headed next week?

1. Myrtle Beach ..i’m excited!!

Nothing like a beach vacation. Enjoy and travel safe😉

8. Love this! I feel like I always end up trying on a million suits without knowing what would actually flatter my body type the most. I’ll be referring to this further when I get ready to buy another suit!

9. Jessica says:

Love all of the suits and yours it so darn cute!!!!!
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

Awww, you’re such a sweetheart! It’s always nice to hear from you Jessica.

10. dannie54 says:

Love these tips! This suit looks absolutely amazing on you, too! So great. And I love all of your suit recommendations!

xoxo,
    Dannie

Thanks Dannie 😉 I hate to see people get down on themselves over swimsuit season so I’m glad to hear this helps!