You have something to say, so you started a blog, found your voice and now you have a good publishing rhythm. It’s tempting to get complacent and think that all you have to do is focus on delivering good content on a consistent basis for the traffic will come and grow, but this is more of a half truth. Sure content is king, but the king can’t accomplish much without the queen. How can anyone appreciate your carefully worded and curated content if they can’t find it, or even worse they find it, but can’t navigate it? That’s why my spring cleaning chore list includes quick and easy steps to building a better blog.
1) Add or repair your search bar. Sometimes people want to search for something specific and if you don’t have a functioning search bar, readers will be disappointed and may never return.
2) Reinvigorate old content by adding better images and re-sharing on social media. You can achieve this quickly by purchasing stock photos in your blogs color scheme or using flat-lays. If you don’t have a lot of natural light, use a light box for brighter images. Learn how to make your own with this tutorial.
3) Post previews on your home page instead of full posts. Some readers will quickly exit your blog if they have to scroll through posts they’re not interested in. You can appeal to a broader audience by offering readers a variety of choices on your home page.
4) Insert related posts, and popular posts beneath your posts. This makes your site appear more intuitive because once someone finishes reading the kind of post they’re interested in, they will see related posts and popular posts below.
5) Use headings, spacing and bold text. Most of us are constantly multi-tasking and have short attention spans, so keep things interesting to the eye and easy to scan.
If you have time for a few more tips, check out this post.
As always thank you for reading, commenting, and liking!