Curly Hair Care

JPEG_20160307_103548_-1091216006

My natural hair journey started in 2009 when I saw the documentary, Good Hair. From that day forward my hair has been relaxer, and flat iron free. Over the years I’ve tried a ton of curly hair products, but these are the one’s that keep me constantly come back.

20160221_184212-1

Cleanse + Condition

First and foremost I cleanse and condition simultaneously (co-wash), using Aussie Moist and warm water once a week. No you didn’t read that wrong; I skip the shampoo and go straight to the conditioner. Contrary to popular belief it is not necessary to completely strip your hair to get it clean.

Moisturize

Afterwards, I combine a generous amount of Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner with Cantu coconut oil, and work it through from root to tip.

Defrizz + Define

I define my curl pattern by finger racking in a mixture of Curls Goddess Gel and Eco Styler from root to tip. Goddess Curls works for me all year round, but I do switch between the two Eco Styler products depending on the humidity. During the winter months I tend to use Eco Styler with argan oil, and the remainder of the year I use Eco Styler with added protein.

Seal + Shine

Last, but certainly not least I seal in the products with cold natural spring water. While warm water opens the hair’s cuticle, allowing conditioner to penetrate, cold water closes the cuticle and seals in conditioner, promoting moisture and shine. Well, that’s it for me because I prefer air drying over blow drying or diffusing, because air drying allows curls to take their natural shape. Hair swells upon contact with water, and gel enhances curls, keeping them naturally intact. But, if you prefer a fuller look, tilt your head over while using a blow dryer on the cool setting. It prevents some shrinkage because the hair isn’t weighed down at the root. I absolutely adore these products, but please note none of them are not meant to change or manipulate your hair pattern or texture in any way. 20160306_204329-1What are your curly hair care must haves?

connect footer

As always thank you for reading, commenting, and liking!

With LOVE,

1. Daniella Romano says:

Oh my god I’m so glad I found this post, I didn’t even know about co washing and it has changed my life!! Definitely going to steal some of your tricks and products, thank you! Struggling to really enhance my curls, they tend to end up forming some kind of massive fizzy knot.
    Also I’d never heard of Good Hair, just watched the trailer and it looks awesome. Definitely going to give it a watch.
    Keep up the good hair 🙂 🙂

Hi Daniella 🤗 I’m glad you found this post so helpful. Please let me know how your first co-wash goes. This documentary REALLY changed my life! I had no idea my hair products could damage my lungs and I have asthma so that wasn’t an option. And along the way I discovered I like my natural hair much more than the processed hair.

1. Daniella Romano says:

I will for sure, I’ve always found shampoo has dried out my hair so much! Glad to hear it, your hair is so nice, maybe it’ll inspire me to stop straightening mine for good.

Have fun with it,let your hair show off it’s personality 😉

3. Daniella Romano says:

I tried co wash, all shampoo is going in the bin!

Shut up!… It worked? I know your relieved 😥

5. Daniella Romano says:

Yeah my hair was clean and frizzy. I guess shampoo is a myth that someone thought of to try and make all our hair more frizzy.

I guess it worked, because then we have to buy products to control the frizz.

2. Cheyanne says:

Yes! My friend and I were just talking about this the other day — how to embrace our curls and have them look good and professional without trying to make our hair something it’s not. OR washing our hair every day which doesn’t work for our skin issues. It’s a work in progress. I’m still trying to learn what works best for me but I have a hard time finding another curly hair person with super fine hair to learn from. There’s the porosity and the 2,3 and 4 and a,b and c thing that I just can’t seem to understand! Anyway, yay curls! And yay for embracing our natural beauty! 🙂

I’m glad you haven’t given up on your natural beauty Cheyanne. Trust your journey😉

3. Your hair always looks fab, Dasha! I have the same straight baby fine hair that I had at the age of 5. So in the 80s during the disco era when shoulders and hair was Big, I would have my long hair permed, then immediately cut just so I could have “naturally curly” hair, Can you believe it?

Thanks Mary Beth! You’re not alone. We’ve all been there and done just about anything to be on trend.

4. Kaitlin says:

The Aussie conditioner is one of my favorites! I also really like Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls – super cheap and available all over the place.

It’s getting better and better for curly hair. I’m glad I don’t have to make a special trip to Sally’s anymore.

5. Tanisha says:

Thank you for this! I have bought ALL of these products separately, but haven’t used them all together. I’ll post a pic of my after results, this hair journey has been an interesting one! Also will the 3 minute Aussie moisture work as well, I just bought that!

Hey Tanesha! No problema. YAS,GIRL!!! I tried it last week, it was THE BUSINESS. I hope this helps, excited 😄 to see the results!

6. dannie54 says:

I love this! While I’ve moved towards blowouts more recently, I was a very strict CurlyGirl for nearly a decade prior. My go-to cowash is actually Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze. It’s not marketed as a cowash but it does the job so beautifully and it’s sulfate and silicone free which were my huge no-nos with my curly journey. Default rich conditioner is still the DevaCurl conditioner for colored hair. It’s so thick and moisturizing and I just love it, despite it’s pricetag. My two favorite after-shower products used to be Kinky Kurly’s Kurling Kustard (say that 5 times fast) and Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel. And that was my routine for, I kid you not, a decade. I’ve moved onto blowing out my hair mostly because it makes me look more my age but I definitely go back to my curls periodically. After all, they’re uniquely me and I love them dearly!

xoxo,
    Dannie

Hey Dannie 👋 I’ve been meaning to write this post forever so I forced myself this morning. I hope it was worth the wait 😉 I used to do blowouts but I stopped when I cut my hair short. So relieved I don’t think I’ll ever grow it back out again. I haven’t tried either of those products. I’ll look to you for some tips when I give em a try.