How To Work With Brands

JPEG_20160217_100257_-1063501182-1So you’ve been pecking away and putting out great content and now you want to reach out to brands but don’t know where to start. It may sound crazy but the truth is the brands will come to you. Big brands are starting to see the value in partnering with small bloggers. Why you ask? Because small bloggers have a tendency to have a deeper connection with their readers which often leads to more trust and this translates into loyal customers for businesses. This isn’t merely speculation because I personally have been a part of successful brand collaborations in the past year and each time the brand or PR rep approached me. Check out the steps I took to make this a reality and hopefully the same will happen for you.

1. Be very approachable. This is achieved by being easy to contact as well as positive in tone, and content. I place my email address on the side bar, on pages, and in my bio on social media. I also have a contact form but bare in mind that most PR reps prefer to contact you through a direct email address. If your blog name can be interpreted as offensive or uses profanity you run the risk of deterring brands. Also, use your words carefully when writing about controversial topics.
  2. Create a hire me page and/or media kit. A hire me page signals to brands that you treat your blog as a business, not a hobby and you will work to help them meet their goals. Here is an example of a hire me page, and make a media kit for free here. Not quite sure what goes on a media kit? Check out this post.
  3. Build a blog tribe and collaborate among yourselves often. This showcases your creativity, team work skills, and increases your reach which will organically attract opportunities.
  4. Use brand specific hashtags. Lane Bryant reached out to me on Instagram when I used their hashtag #plusisequal. Brands often associate a specific tag with a collection or campaign as a way to track the response of customers and your posts will stand out because as a blogger you’ve learned to take better pictures and in general look more polished.
  5. Notify brands when you feature their products via email. After you publish a post featuring a particular brand or product look for an email contact on their website and social media accounts. I like this approach because it displays a genuine fondness for the brand and that can come off very intriguing which opens up a dialogue. As opposed to specifically pitching one idea that the brand may not need.

These suggestions may not work for everyone, so consider bartering in lieu of monetary compensation to build your portfolio initially. Questions? Comments? Do you have any tips to add to this list?

WITH LOVE,

connect footer

1. Thank you so much for this post! I have been wanting to do this for a while and now, maybe with help from this, I will be able to!

2. joseyphina says:

Thanks for the tips. Very resourceful.

3. Dicia says:

I have not contacted a brand yet. I wanted to build a bigger following, but these are some great tips. Pinning for later!

Dicia ~ itsmymommylifenow.com

4. tiarasandsequins says:

Thank you so much for sharing these tips! Fantastic post!

5. Great suggestions! I am yet to build up my own tribe. I also have put off creating a media kit (I have a “work with us” page instead) because we are quite new so have been still growing our social media numbers.

6. Mummy Jojo says:

Love this, thanks x

7. Jennifer says:

Thank you for this information!! As a new blogger, it is overwhelming trying to figure out how to make yourself a brand. XoxoXo

8. projcouture says:

This is such wonderful information. I plan do work with brands in the future and will definitely use these tips!

9. Thanks so much for writing this! I feature products I cook with all the time but never thought to reach out to those companies. I will be doing that this weekend!

I thought it would take a while for me to work with companies since I am such a small-time blog. But your information has inspired me! Thanks again!

Sharon

10. Lindsey says:

Great tips on working with brands! I am so close with my numbers to being an account collabs will be an option!

11. Wow! Thank you for this information. I never knew that Brands would send you things to review. Reviews never occurred to me. Great post with great content especially about the tribe.

I’m so glad to hear this helps! Check out my other blogging posts and let me know if you have questions 😉

12. Andrea says:

Thanks for this post Dasha! It is valuable advice that I really need to incorporate. I hope you don’t mind if I reach out with more questions.

Hi Andrea👋 I’m glad you found this useful. What is your question?

13. Hello from a fellow Chicagolander! I love your great tips here. I’m still in the phase of looking for my tribe.

Nice to meet you, I’ll your newest follower 😄 Always a pleasure to connect with locals!

Reblogged this on Brick & Rose.

15. Abby says:

Very great tips! I’ve recently tried reaching out to brands, especially the ones I have special interest in. I would keep these in mind!

xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

16. Sabrina Rose says:

This is a super helpful post!! Love it!

17. Tavi J says:

Great article!

Thanks Tavi! Just paying it forward.

18. Allie Barke says:

Ahh thanks for the link! Great tips! <3

No problem, you have great content! Thanks for coming by.

19. great blog pos!! love your ideas and style!

I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit Cecilia! Don’t forget to follow for more 😉

20. Great content, lady! I wholeheartedly agree that, for smaller blogs, it’s all about being personable and showing you WANT to work with them.

The only piece of advice that I’d add is that, after awhile, we all know that we can’t do collaborations for free once we hit a certain size. In order to build a larger, profitable blog community, we all have to work together to understand that we are a valued part of a marketing budget – not people that write for a hobby.

Great advice! (…& great reminder to update my media kit, eek!)

XO, Jessica

I totally agree Jessica! I was lucky enough to get paid for my first collaboration. But after doing a few for free I was a lot more confident and now my blog has not only paid for itself but it also made a profit.

1. Nice! I’m already looking forward to seeing what’s to come from WCW! 🙂