Happy Friday Fashionista’s!
I’m so excited about this week’s wonder woman! If you missed what this series is all about click here for an update.
IMAGE BY:SATURN TWINS
With out further ado, I give you our wonder woman of the week, Sara! She’s a professional dreamer, part-time napper, a self-proclaimed Instagram junkie, but more importantly she’s a DIY and lifestyle blogger at Hello Sara Tramp.
- How did you choose Hello Sara Tramp as the name for your blog? It was actually originally Hooked + Needled, because I thought I wanted to start a DIY blog. But the more I got into it I realized I was interested in a lot of other things, besides DIY. And so I needed to change the name to be something more me. And what’s more personal than your own name, right?
- In 10 words or less what can people expect from your blog? A LOT of personality. Some people may like, some may not.
- What are you enjoying most and least about blogging? Forcing myself to be creative is kinda what I love most and least about blogging. It’s such a crazy experience to having ideas, and then actually commit to seeing them through. And it’s stressful, and exhausting, and sometimes expensive, but ultimately worth it. At the end of the day I feel better knowing that I’m doing my own creative work, which is so easy to put off when we’re all working 70 hour weeks. But better to hustle now while I can, right?
- What’s your educational and professional background? I graduated in 2012 from Otis College of Art and Design with a Bachelors of Fine Art in Digital Media – which basically just means computer art. I focused on motion graphics and typography, but upon graduating did NOT do well in the freelance world. It just wasn’t for me. So I tried something else for a bit and worked in film and TV production. I loved it for a while, but I missed that element of creativity ( I was working on the production office side which is entirely administrative). So in December of 2014 I decided to make a change. I started working on my own creative projects again, and got a website and social media accounts going to start building a portfolio. Once I had the smallest amount going (like 85 followers and 3 blog posts) I started sending out resumes to blogs and creative studios. I wanted to work somewhere where I could use all the administrative skills I’d learned in production, but still be creative, and I found it. I’m currently the Social Media Director at Styled by Emily Henderson and it’s such fun, challenging, and educating work. But I ended up keeping my social media and website going even after getting a job (their original purpose), and I think that’s been the best decision.
- What’s your favorite quote? “Comparison is the thief of joy” – Theodore Roosevelt
- We’re all glued to something! Name 3 things you can’t live without. My phone, something sweet (I’m trying to cut down…but am I really?), and a dope mani, I hate chipping polish.
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received? I actually JUST heard it this past week at General Assembly’s Creative Branding panel from Alex May (AKA Beautilitarian) – “Collaboration and community versus competition.” It’s so simple, but it applies so much to everything I’m doing right now.
- How do you unwind? Pour a glass of champagne, put on a face mask, take a bath, and then snuggle down and watch something with my boyfriend and kitty.
- Name your favorite place to shop online and in store. Asos. SO EASY. And they have amazing sales. In store I love Madewell (when I can afford it) and Gap. I would say that 90% of the time I don’t buy full price. If it’s not on sale then it’s out of my price range. Except for shoes. A good pair of shoes will last forever, and are worth every penny.
- What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? Latch by Disclosure, Nantes by Beirut, Take Me To The Riot by Stars, Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran, Georgia by Vance Joy, and Fond Farewell by Elliot Smith
- List 5 random facts about yourself. I’ve owned 10 cats during my lifetime, I HATE wooden popsicle sticks, I always secretly want someone to suggest dessert and I will always agree, I’m a huge bluegrass fan, I can speak Spanish and I’m learning Japanese.
- Do you blog full time? If not, describe your day job. I don’t, but I work for someone who does! And she impresses me everyday and such an amazing role model. Owning your own business with employees is scary and such hard work that doesn’t work on a 9-5 schedule, but Emily handles it all with such grace. As far as my job goes, I manage the social media (besides her Instagram), and assist on the blog.
- Where are you from originally & where do you live now? Southern California born and bred. I grew up in Claremont, just outside of LA (it’s actually the last city in Los Angeles county), and just recently moved back after living in West LA for the past 7 years.
- What are you favorite apps? IF, Snapseed, VSCO, Audible and Instagram!