Friday’s are always exciting but the icing on the cake is giving you an exclusive behind the scenes interview with real life supershero. If you missed what this wonder woman series is all about, click here for an update.
IMAGE BY:SATURN TWINS
Without further ado, I give you our Wonder Woman of the week, Hoda Katebi! She uses her personal style blog, JooJoo Azad as a platform against injustices imposed upon others for the sake of fashion & promotes self-expression.
- How did you choose the name for your blog? JooJoo Azad means “Free Bird” in Farsi, the language of my homeland. Birds are easily my spirit animal and I really love the image of freedom that they carry, and “free” is related to my headscarf, or Hijab—in mainstream media and thought today, Westerners associate the headscarf with oppression, when in fact, this is quite the contrary. I wanted to pick an image of freedom and independence that the way that I dress symbolizes. Initially, I wanted to pick a name that was more obviously connected to the theme of fashion + social action, but as this name has quite a bit of meaning for me, I decided to just stick with it!
- When or how did you become aware of your entrepreneurial spirit?As long as I remember, I’ve always been making things—with my hands, words, or ideas. I still wouldn’t dub myself an “entrepreneur,” but I love to create and innovate!
- Name 3 things on your bucket-list.
- Skydiving (I’m not afraid of heights…I’m not afraid of heights…)
- Make saffron ice cream (successfully is the key word here)
- Pet a baby falconet (they are my favorite)
- Describe your best practices for organization and balance. lists,lists,lists!I honestly cannot function without making endless lists. I have one of long-term goals, one of monthly goals, one of weekly goals/to-do lists, and one of daily to-do lists that I write every night or morning. I make sure that all of my long-term goals and plans are broken down into short-term goals and make their way onto my daily or weekly to-do lists so I always stay on track. It sounds a bit obsessive, but I get distracted far too easily and my life would fall apart if I didn’t keep track of my progress!
- How do you unwind? Perusing through the blogs that I follow, reading a bit of poetry or practicing violin, and I’ve started getting really into cooking!
- What’s your favorite movie or television show? I don’t watch too much TV, but I catch up on New Girl whenever I have the time! A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (a new Iranian film) is my absolute favorite! What is better than an Iranian feminist, skate-boarding vampire?!
- Name your favorite place to shop online and in store. I always love finding new ethical brands and am constantly changing where I shop at, so unfortunately I don’t really have a set “favorites” list, but I support ethical clothing in fun prints and creative shapes.
- Provide a link to your favorite blog post. I’m most excited about my new Minimal Wardrobe Series!
- What’s your favorite fragrance? I could easily get drunk on the smell of roses.
- Where are you from originally? I’m perrrrsian, from Oklahoma, and currently living in Chicago. FUN FACT!…Hoda is the only person I know other than myself from Oklahoma who is living in Chicago
- What’s your educational and professional background? I’m graduating next year (June 2016) with B.As in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies!
- What’s your favorite line of cosmetics? I don’t wear makeup, but I’m a fan of any line that is not involved in human rights violations or animal testing!
- Tell us about your favorite vacation or adventure. Basically anytime I get to visit my motherland (Iran!). It is (unbiasedly, of course) the most beautiful place I’ve ever traveled to!
- What is your greatest professional and personal achievement thus far? I would honestly have to say the work that I have put into my blog—it is probably where I feel the most fulfilled!
- Name one item you can’t live without. A notebook (and nice pen)
- What are your goals for 2015? Finish research for my undergraduate B.A. thesis. Have a solid post-graduation plan (It’s terrifying that I’m about to graduate and have to be a real person soon!) Finish up & publicize the secret projects I’m working on!
- What business books do you recommend?Any book of poetry by Rumi. He gives great life advice. (No I’m not obsessed.Okay maybe a little)
- What books do you recommend for leisure? I’m not really into fiction, or what is considered “leisure” reading…but I’m currently reading The New Jim Crow and it’s really wonderful. I also recommend Profit Over People by Noam Chomsky or Orientalism by Edward Said.
- What’s your favorite quote? “Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious”-Rumi (of course)
- Who are your biggest supporters? This might sound cheesy, but honestly, my readers! My family wasn’t too sold on the idea when I first told them I wanted to make a website and fill it with pictures of myself and I only told a few of my close friends about my blog, so really, the steady stream of emails, tweets, comments, and messages of support are really what keeps me going.
As always thank you for reading, commenting, and liking!
P.S. Click here to nominate a wonder woman for this series. I can’t wait to hear from you!