Friday’s are alway exciting but the icing on the cake is introducing you a real life supershero. If you missed what this wonder woman series is all about click here for an update.
IMAGE BY:SATURN TWINS
Without further ado, I give you a very ambitious pioneer for self-acceptance, and our Wonder Woman of the week, Bianca Vaccarini! Bianca spends her days managing social media presence, content creation and responding to customer needs for a cloud tech company. Her evenings are devoted to writing body-positive content and personal style tips for her blog, The In Between Girls.
- How did you choose the name for your blog or business? The name of my blog came from this shopping trip i had with one of my skinnier friends. I was holding an arm full of straight Larges and an arm full of plus size Extra Larges and 1x at Forever21 looking at the significant difference between the selection, and dimensions of the clothing and I thought “what the heck am I supposed to do if I am in between?” And that is how I started my blog “The In Between Girls.”
- What makes your blog unique? Most plus size blogs represent women above a size 22, and most straight blogs represent women below a size 8. I feel like my body is a great representation to inspire women that can’t identify with these blogs.
- When or how did you become aware of your entrepreneurial spirit? I am still not entirely aware of it. I think it’s more of a creative spirit. I always liked to write and I always felt left out of conversations, like my opinion/persona was never represented. While in college we were required to start a blog to practice our writing skills and I realized I had something to offer and shouldn’t be scared of ridicule or criticism by strangers. When I was invited to attend Mercedes Benz Fashion Week while finishing up my senior year in college, I thought “wow, this is it.”
- Describe your best practices for organization and balance. I love lists. To-do lists, shopping lists, physical calendars that I can write on.. the whole legacy media thing. You would think a millennial like myself would be addicted to iCal, “notes” and Reminders, but there is nothing more satisfying than crossing off something on your to-do list. I am probably a little better and organization than I am balance, but I am working on that with yoga 🙂
- Everyone has bad habits, what’s yours? Nail biting. I avoid pictures of me holding cups or of my jewelry because I have the fingernails of a 4 year-old. My boyfriend hates how bad my nail biting habit is but I also kind of like having short nails. Yeah manicures are pretty pointless and my hands look like a small child’s but I never break nails, I don’t spend tons of time or money on nail polish and I can text and type really fast.
- Name your favorite places to shop online & in store. My favorite place to shop in-store include Zara, Urban Outfitters, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx and Old Navy. The selection is fantastic and I love the hunt for a good deal. Online is a bit different, I’m not a big fan of it because you can’t tell how something is going to fit and I never trust reviews. So if I do buy something online it is usually found on WANELO and it is under $20 and usually isn’t clothes.
- What do you find most difficult about blogging? Staying motivated is probably the most difficult thing. After three years of blogging you start to wonder if it is worth it. Then I get a comment or an email from a reader about how my blog has helped them with their body insecurities and have helped them find their inner beauty and I am reminded of why I started blogging in the first place.
- Tell us about your favorite vacation or adventure. My favorite adventure was the last trip my family took together before I graduated college and before my brother went off to college. We hopped on a plane to Phuket for a 4-day trip that was jam packed with elephants, forests, waterfalls and spiders the size of my car steering wheel. The best part was trying to find a place to eat that wasn’t catered to Western cuisine. It is amazing how tourists places try to provide food that they think their tourist visitors would eat at home. My family had to venture through some strange dark areas of Phuket to find some authentic Thai food. We figured the more dogs the restaurants had around the better.
- What is your greatest personal achievement? My greatest personal achievement came to me via a test. I came to San Diego State University to study public relations. The program is one of the best on the west coast and only 30% of people who test in actually make it. It took me the full number of tries (3) to finally get a passing grade on it and I had never felt more proud of excited in my life.
- What is your educational background?
I went to special jr. high that went until 10th grade, then spent a year in high school before started community college my senior year of high school. I graduated with a BA in journalism before I was 21 years old and I’ve been finding out my passions in life ever since.
- What are you most proud of in your professional life?
The first time I negotiated my salary I felt like such a boss. I was definitely nervous and I had spent the previous night rehearsing my pitch and it paid off!
- Has your blog changed your life?
Definitely. Friends of friends will sometimes tell me that they recognize me from Tumblr, or my friends that are still in school will tell me someone used me as an example in a presentation. That makes me feel pretty rad. Beyond that it has made me feel like I can make a difference which a lot of people seem to be losing nowadays. We all seem to think that a single person can’t make a difference, that our vote doesn’t count, that our opinions just go into a void. If I can help one teenage girl not feel like she has to hide under a t-shirt this summer while at the beach I am happy.
- What’s your favorite line of cosmetics? LUSH. I am a new convert and I am pretty much a volunteer sales person for them in my spare time. Their BIG shampoo is my favorite.
- 5 random facts
- I was the first one out of my group of friends to get a drivers license.
- I really love Pokemon & Digimon. Anyone who says that Digimon was copying Pokemon is probably a hipster.
- I bought a dog on craigslist while I was living in a dorm room and brought him to class with me in a backpack.
- I’ve had more than 15 pairs of Converse throughout my life.
- I like my steak to be medium rare.
- What are your favorite drugstore beauty brands? I like Olay and Covergirl. My grandma uses Olay and she doesn’t look a day over 60 but she’s just turned 80 and she still works too.
- What’s your favorite quote? “you’re supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for god’s sake.” It’s from my favorite Christmas movie The Holiday. For some of the critical points in my life growing up I let people influence me far too often and often played the “best friend.” It wasn’t until my Junior year in high school that I found my voice got rid of the extra baggage (aka “friends”) and focused on the people that were ok with me being me and not trying to control or question why I do things or act a certain way.
Not sure where to start? Click here to view Bianca’s favorite blog post!
As always thank you for reading, commenting, and liking!
P.S. Click here to nominate a wonder woman for this series. I can’t wait to hear from you!