Beauty Doesn’t Have a Weight Limit

In honor of women’s history month I decided to share my personal 5 step journey to self-acceptance.

Step 1) HONESTY

I am 5’6, apple shaped, oval faced, 230lbs, shoe size 10, ring size 10, U.S. dress size 16/18. I love my naturally curly hair and I never straighten it, but I despise my natural hair color. 6a014e87a2bd3c970d01538e627249970b-800wi1

Step 2) RESEARCH

Apples should…

*Choose lower and wider necklines like scoop, square, large V-neck or sweetheart.

*Follow your body line – avoid details around bust, tummy and hips. Keep detail in top and lower thirds.

*Keep the clothing line straight to slightly fitted, but fabric soft so you avoid unnecessary bulk around the bosom, waist and tummy

*Keep details above the bust line and below the hip line – for everything in between keep it plain and simple

*Keep your silhouette fitted under bust and as well below your arms and along your waist

Apples shouldn’t…

*wear visible belts whether big or small

*avoid sleeves which finish next to your bust

*no fuss and volume near bust, tummy or hip area, lapels, double breasted jackets, kitten heels, and Ugg boots

It’s much easier to accept your body once you have an idea of the best way to clothe it.

Step 3) DRESS BETTER….which leads to Step 4) FEEL BETTER

Step 5) PAY IT FORWARD

In the fall of 2014,Windy City Wardrobe was born! The content I write and share is intended to promote self-expression, self-acceptance, creativity and diversity. Let me know how I’m doing; I love feedback!

It was the very images depicted below that gave me hope when I was feeling hopelessly lost in pursuit of self-acceptance and style.

Disclaimer:All images above are from plus model magazine; clear here to visit their site.

I know all this information at once can be overwhelming but I’ve found that the easiest way to narrow down your choices is to take a style quiz. My favorite one can be found at joy of clothes, click here for the free comprehensive style quiz.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

1. Jamie says:

I love your confidence! I think you are fabulous and I love your style! I am so proud of you for embracing it! Keep going girl!!

Thanks Jamie! I found that leaning in and embracing my reality just made things come easier and naturally. I’m so glad you stopped by.

2. brandilove11 says:

This very inspirational! We’re the same size/height/weight….omg. Thanks for boldness!

Thank you for your boldness as well! I only do this because I think it will help others so your input is very valuable to me.

3. Love this – thank you for your bravery in posting!

Also, in case your interested, check out my recent post on Dove’s new campaign. It’s beautiful and is all about self acceptance and recognizing the qualities you love about yourself. http://semisweettooth.com/2015/03/27/dove-is-at-it-again/ 🙂

Thank you! I definitely cringed and hovered over the post button but I felt like I would be selfish I’d I didn’t. Thanks for sharing I’ll check it out now.

4. Love this! The photos of the models are gorgeous xx

Ikr…such beautiful women. Hopefully, one day this kind of magazine will grow and become a printed magazine we can see at the check out.

1. I agree! That would be awesome and so worthwhile xx

Having these types of discussions puts women on the road to empowerment! Now all we have to do is give the magazine some traffic and watch it grow.

5. Kelli says:

Loved this. Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks Kelli; I plan too!

6. Wonderful post! I love this! I am a plus-size woman myself wearing a size 26 and being 6 ft tall and am more of a pear shape…I think lol. I really love this post! <3 xo

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I must admit posting this scared be a little bit but I felt like it had to be said. Until today no one but my wife and mother knew those kind of details about me.

1. Good for you though. You should be proud of yourself. You’re a beautiful woman in the inside and on the outside. <3

Awww…thank you Katie! I do feel beautiful now but it was a long haul getting here. Thanks for the support. This whole blogging experience has been so positive!

3. You’re very welcome! 🙂 I agree! This community is very positive and has been so wonderful!